Thursday, October 18, 2012

Unexpected Thursday

Who am I kidding? I knew I was going to get the day off, since I’ve been cancelled the last 3 Thursdays. It made for a wonderful day hanging out with Kurt, running errands and relaxation.

I think that’s the theme for today: relaxation.

Anyway, after getting called up and realizing I could actually sleep another hour or two, we went out to breakfast at Brandon’s Diner, where I had a spinach and mushroom omelet topped with avocado and a side of fruit. It made my day. I love going out to breakfast! (It’s become our Sunday-morning tradition, to get a big breakfast out and share it).

After breakfast, we came home and I started reading my “new” book (it’s been sitting around for a while) Fevre Dream by George R.R. Martin (the same author of Game of Thrones). So far, it’s a very interesting read, and I can’t seem to put it down.

After relaxing at home for a bit, and doing a little window-shopping, I got a surprisingly delicious lunch from Wendy’s; they now have half salads. I got the Apple Pecan Salad, in which I didn’t use the included pecans and only a dab of the Pomegranate Vinaigrette. I was definitely shocked that it came from a fast food restaurant, especially when I noticed that it was on a bed of spinach and not your typical iceberg lettuce. Someone really put a lot of thought into this. There was actually quite a bit of apple in there as well, so a lot of good elements to this salad, if you ignore the sugared pecans and giant packet of dressing (both served on the side).

 IMG_20121018_142453salad!

After lunch, we headed off to the Upland Animal Shelter to go “play with puppies”, as we like to say. We probably look like nuts, going into the shelter once a month or once every few months to pet dogs, but it’s really therapeutic, and always has us talking about the future.


I’m not sure if most of you know, I’m a huge Pit-Bull advocate. I think they’re the most misunderstood dogs on the face of the planet. It all started a few years ago when I was introduced to Kurt’s parent’s dog, Deuce, and this dorky dog wormed his way into my heart.
2011-12-19 20.17.082012-09-01 20.02.59

Ever since then, I could never understand how someone could mistreat such beautiful animals. While Deuce was never abused, and in fact, quite spoiled, I always stood up for the breed, because I have living, breathing proof that people will rally against just about anything. I’ve had people cross busy streets to get away from him while we’re jogging, gotten angry looks on the trail and freaked out a person or two at PetsMart. But with any dog, it’s how you treat the dog, raise them, and train them, and that decides the outcome of your dog’s behavior.

Despite the negativities I’ve come across, I feel very fortunate to live in a city that advocates the Pit Bull breed; bringing “doggie beauty contests” to the shelter and local newspaper, having ordinances about breeding (because the shelters are so overly populated with these poor dogs) and properly educating owners on proper dog handling. For more info, check out the Rancho Cucamonga Animal Shelter.

They are very high-energy dogs and take a LOT of patience!

On the trail, I’ve gotten numerous complements on my dog’s behavior and leash-walking skills. I’ve also gotten a “shout out” from a cop car (which startled me, but made me laugh!), and had a whole group of city firefighters moon over my “well behaved” dog. (He completely ate it up!) Deuce can also do a whole list of tricks and commands, and the list just keeps getting longer. As a nurse, I would have liked to have him train as a certified therapy dog, but Kurt and I decided that he’s too sensitive to loud noises to pass the certification (your dog has to be bomb-proof). Either way, I’m proud as to how far he’s come in these past couple years, and went from a wild, whirlwind of a dog to a calm and loveable member of the family.

So that’s my two-cents on breed-discrimination. I’m hoping that my dog could one day become a shining example that not all Pit Bulls are vicious man-eaters.

Yoga:
Tonight, I started yoga. It seemed to confuse all of the regulars at the gym as to why I was there on a Thursday night.
It was RELAXING! I can’t believe I waited this long to start this class (uhhh, because it’s at 9am…duh) It’s definitely something I think I could get into. I really need to figure out how to relax, and I think this might be it! It was a lot of stretching and breathing, which I was expecting and looking forward to, and the instructor was really cool.
Overall, I think it’s something I might add to my routine.

I still have to do my ab workouts tonight. But that’s the challenge!

Dinner tonight: A big cup of veggies and Nutella on a slice of wheat bread. (Breakfast took over my day) I might have a protein shake later.Tme for a nice cup of Yogi Detox Tea. :D

IMG_20121018_203050yes, that is the “Holly” mug.
Also, never noticed this…
IMG_20121018_203108

Anyway, tomorrow I might be starting some Amish Friendship Bread, as inspired by Jillee, so I might be making trips around Los Angeles/Orange County and the Inland Empire delivering bread and the starter next week.

So that’s my action-packed Thursday. Now it’s time to sit back and watch the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with Kurt. (Don’t need to explain, we’re nerds, it makes sense). Besides, Sean Austin (a.k.a Sam from LOTR) is Michelangelo.

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2012_7925

Night all!

<3 Hojo

No comments:

Post a Comment