Friday, September 28, 2012

Quick Friday Post

I’m posting some quick thoughts for tonight, because it’s been an incredibly long week, and I’m having a hard time believing it’s even Friday night.

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking today, about body image and comparisons. I’ve been struggling lately with getting into shape and finding a happy medium with my figure in my late-20’s. It’s one of the reasons I’ve started working out, but not the sole reason; I wanted to become more energetic and outgoing, while maintaining a healthy lifestyle. I did it for my health. But recently, since I’ve lost a bit of weight and inches off my waist, I’ve been comparing myself to others, which is dangerous thinking. It’s a good thing I caught myself.

Basically, I had to take a second and remind myself: my body type is what it is. I’ve always had an athletic build, I’m 5’9, and I have a solid frame. (Wide shoulders, thick legs, big chest) For example, even at the point where I was deathly ill and had a below-average body mass index, I was still a bit of an hourglass, shape. So now that I’m older and spending more time at the gym, it’s hard to see results when I’m comparing myself to girls who have a thinner frame.

I thought about it last night, and talking about it with Kurt and some other athletic-type friends, I came to some really interesting conclusions:

I’m in the best physical shape I’ve been in since high school, and I’m actually happy with my progress.
I can run for miles and not have pain or over-exert myself.
I have healthy routines to my life that make me feel better about myself.
I can cope better with life’s mishaps and downfalls. (With the help of prayer, of course)
I climbed three flights of stairs down and up this afternoon and was not winded.
I feel solid. My legs feel solid, my back and arms feel solid.
I can do my job and not feel dead tired after the fact.
I’ve never seen the outline of abs on me before. (Hey, they’re forming!)


Sometimes in life, we need to give ourselves little pep-talks to remind us how we can appreciate the things we have. I’m glad I’m able to get into the shape I’m in, and it really makes me happy.
I’m also thankful for having such an amazing boyfriend, Kurt. Things have been rough with work and school lately, and he’s really pulled through for me. I’m proud to have someone so great by my side. I’ve never had such a strong support system (including both of our families), and I really need to express how much I appreciate life right now.

I am truly blessed.

So that’s my 20-minute rant tonight.
Once again, I apologize for the lack of photography (if that’s what you call it.)



P.S. I want a new juicer. Breville Compact Juicer Juice Fountain

No comments:

Post a Comment